All XG3 signal source ordered today will have Product Firmware loaded as they come out of the box. Monitor the Elecraft Email Reflector where announcements are made when new releases become available.
Elecraft delivers new features in firmware. As a result, you should consider the Release Notes as an extension of the Owner's Manual. Documentation for the new features will be found there and will not appear in the Owner's Manual until the next major manual revision is released.
Download and Install the XG3 Utility for your Operating System
Follow the links below to download and install the latest version of the Utility for your Operating System.
Minimum Operating System Requirements for Elecraft Utilities
Microsoft Windows: XP Service Pack 3 or later, including Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 and 10.
Apple Mac: OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later
NOTE: Beta test firmware may have new issues that we haven't caught during field testing. Please report them to email@example.com.
We make it a little harder to load Beta firmware mainly because we want you to be sure you want to do this. Beta firmware means that, while the XG3 engineering team has fully tested the firmware, it has not yet been deemed ready for Production status. You can always return to the last firmware you have downloaded by following the steps in the XG3 Utility’s Help section.
1. Create a new folder for the beta firmware on your Desktop or some other easily found location. Use the a different folder than the default folder found in the Firmware tab of the Utility. In this way, you can revert to the last Production firmware easily.
2. Now, we will download the firmware in Zip file format. In a web browser, type in this URL:
If you do not see the correct version of the zip file, press the RELOAD / REFRESH button on your browser to update your browser cache.
3. Right-click on the .zip file containing the beta firmware (e.g. k3fwXrYZ.zip for revision MCU X.YZ and all associated files). Save the file to your beta folder you just created.
4. Unzip the files into the beta folder.
5. Enter the path to the beta folder in XG3 Utility → Firmware tab → "Local folder for firmware files".
6. After you have made the change in Step 5, make sure you *DO NOT* check the XG3 Utility box titled "Copy new files from Elecraft server". This will overwrite the Beta firmware if clicked.
7. Connect the XG3 to your computer and be sure it is turned on. Select the Firmware tab and Click on "Check versions now" button.
8. Review the release notes. To find them, select the "Help" pull-down menu.
9. Click "Send all firmware to XG3." This will cause the firmware to be sent to the XG3. You will see that the XG3 appears to restart itself. Monitor the Activity Log until it is complete.
10. After completing a new software download to your product, please power cycle the XG3 OFF and then back ON before using it.
11. Please report any new firmware issues to firstname.lastname@example.org