All W2 SWR/Power meters ordered today will have Product Firmware loaded as they come out of the box. Monitor the Elecraft Email Reflector where announcements are made when new releases become available.
Elecraft delivers new features in firmware. As a result, you should consider the Release Notes as an extension of the Owner's Manual. Documentation for the new features will be found there and will not appear in the Owner's Manual until the next major manual revision is released.
If you have firmware older than indicated below, please be sure to follow the steps below.
***No special instructions at this time***
Download and Install the W2 Utility for your Operating System
Follow the links below to download and install the latest version of the Utility for your Operating System.
You will be connecting the W2 to the computer with a KXUSB cable that was included with the W2 when it was shipped from the factory.
Minimum Operating System Requirements for Elecraft Utilities
Microsoft Windows: XP Service Pack 3 or later, including Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 and 10.
Apple Mac: OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later
W2 Wattmeter / SWR Bridge Software
The software provided for download on this page is provided as a free service to our customers and is provided as-is without warranty.
W2 Automatic Power On Modification - Easy one solder jumper mod lets your W2 automatically power on/off with +12VDC from your K3 or your shack's master power supply.
Elecraft W2 Interface program (Ver 18.104.22.168)
Please note this version requires at minimum W2 Firmware Rev 1.00.
Main Form (Windows version)
Setup Form (Windows version)W2 Interface (Windows Version 22.214.171.124)
No Beta Firmware candidate at this time
NOTE: Beta test firmware may have new issues that we haven't caught during field testing. Please report them to email@example.com.
We make it a little harder to load Beta firmware mainly because we want you to be sure you want to do this. Beta firmware means that, while the W2 engineering team has fully tested the firmware, it has not yet been deemed ready for Production status. You can always return to the last firmware you have downloaded by following the steps in the W2 Utility’s Help section.
1. Create a new folder for the beta firmware on your Desktop or some other easily found location. Use the a different folder than the default folder found in the Firmware tab of the Utility. In this way, you can revert to the last Production firmware easily.
2. Now, we will download the firmware in Zip file format. In a web browser, type in this URL:
3. Right-click on the .zip file containing the beta firmware. Save the file to your beta folder you just created.
4. Unzip the files into the beta folder.
5. Enter the path to the beta folder in W2 Utility → Firmware tab → "Local folder for firmware files".
6. After you have made the change in Step 5, make sure you *DO NOT* check the W2 Utility box titled "Copy new files from Elecraft server". This will overwrite the Beta firmware if clicked.
7. Connect the W2 to your computer and be sure it is turned on. Select the Firmware tab and Click on "Check versions now" button.
8. Review the release notes. To find them, select the "Help" pull-down menu.
9. Click "Send all firmware to W2." This will cause the firmware to be sent to the W2. You will see that the W2 appears to restart itself. Monitor the Activity Log until it is complete.
10. After completing a new software download to your product, please power cycle the W2 OFF and then back ON before using it.
11. Please report any new firmware issues to firstname.lastname@example.org