All KAT500 tuners ordered today will have Production Firmware loaded as they come out of the box. Monitor the Elecraft Email Reflector where announcements are made when new releases become available.
Elecraft delivers new features in firmware. As a result, you should consider the Release Notes as an extension of the Owners Manual. Documentation for the new features will be found there and will not appear in the Owner’s Manual until the next major manual revision is released.
Download and Install the KAT500 Utility for your Operating System
Follow the links below to download and install the latest version of the Utility for your Operating System.
Minimum Operating System Requirements for Elecraft Utilities
Microsoft Windows: XP Service Pack 3 or later, including Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 and 10.
KAT500 Utility (Windows Version 22.214.171.124) August 14, 2018
KAT500 Utility (MAC OS X Version 126.96.36.199) August 14, 2018
KAT500 Utility (Linux .tgz Version 188.8.131.52) August 14, 2018
The following libraries and dependencies should be installed on your Linux distro:
GTK+ 2.8 or later, glibc-2.4, libstdc++.so.6 and cURL. 64-bit Linux requires 32-bit compatibility libraries
|Installing the FTDI driver||
Follow this link to the FTDI Site for drivers for the KXUSB cable: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
NOTE: Beta test firmware may have new issues that we haven't caught during field testing. Please report them to email@example.com.
A Little more detail
We make it a little harder to load Beta firmware mainly because we want you to be sure you want to do this. Beta firmware means that, while the KAT500 engineering team has fully tested the firmware, it has not yet been deemed ready for Production status. You can always return to the last firmware you have downloaded by following the steps in the KAT500 Utility’s Help section.
To load Beta Firmware, follow the steps below:
1. Create a new folder for the beta firmware on your Desktop or some other easily found location. Use the a different folder than the default folder found in the Firmware tab of the Utility. In this way, you can revert to the last Production firmware easily.
2. Now, we will download the firmware in Zip file format. In a web browser, type in this URL:
3. Right-click on the .zip file containing the beta firmware (e.g. k3fwXrYZ.zip for revision MCU X.YZ and all associated files). Save the file to your beta folder you just created.
4. Unzip the files into the beta folder.
5. Enter the path to the beta folder in K3 Utility → Firmware tab → "Local folder for firmware files".
6. After you have made the change in Step 5, make sure you *DO NOT* check the KAT500 Utility box titled "Copy new files from Elecraft server". This will overwrite the Beta firmware if clicked.
7. Connect the KAT500 to your computer and be sure it is turned on. Select the Firmware tab and Click on "Check versions now" button.
8. Review the release notes. To find them, select the "Help" pull-down menu.
9. Click "Send all firmware to KAT500." This will cause the firmware to be sent to the KAT500. You will see that the KAT500 appears to restart itself. Monitor the Activity Log until it is complete.
10. After completing a new software download to your product, please power cycle the KAT500 OFF and then back ON before using it.
11. Please report any new firmware issues to firstname.lastname@example.org