All K3s radios ordered today will have Product Firmware loaded as they come out of the box. Monitor the Elecraft Email Reflector where announcements are made when new releases become available.
Elecraft delivers new features in firmware. As a result, you should consider the Release Notes as an extension of the Owners Manual. Documentation for the new features will be found there and will not appear in the Owner’s Manual until the next major manual revision is released.
If you have firmware older than indicated below, please be sure to follow the steps below.
Download and Install the K3 Utility for your Operating System
Follow the links below to download and install the latest version of the Utility for your Operating System.
You will be connecting the K3, K3/0 Mini, K3s to the computer with a USB A-to-B cable that was included with the K3, K3/0 Mini, K3s when it was shipped from the factory.
Minimum Operating System Requirements for Elecraft Utilities:
Microsoft Windows: XP Service Pack 3 or later, including Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 and 10.
Apple Mac: OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later
K3 Utility (Windows Version 22.214.171.124) July 25, 2016
K3 Utility (MAC OS X Version 126.96.36.199) November 12, 2018
K3 Utility (Linux .tgz Version 188.8.131.52) November 12, 2018
|Installing the FTDI driver||Follow this link to the FTDI Site for drivers: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
Depending on the Operating System you have, the driver needed for the Utility to communicate with the K3, K3/0 Mini, K3s will need to be loaded.
All Elecraft products in production use the FTDI chipset for this function. The FTDI driver allows your computer to create a virtual COM port so that the Utility can communicate with the Elecraft product.
NOTE: Beta test firmware may have new issues that we haven't caught during field testing. Please report them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little more detail
We make it a little harder to load Beta firmware mainly because we want you to be sure you want to do this. Beta firmware means that, while the K3, K3/0 Mini, K3s engineering team has fully tested the firmware, it has not yet been deemed ready for Production status. You can always return to the last firmware you have downloaded by following the steps in the K3 Utility’s Help section.
To load Beta Firmware, follow the steps below:
1. Create a new folder for the beta firmware on your Desktop or some other easily found location. Use the a different folder than the default folder found in the Firmware tab of the Utility. In this way, you can revert to the last Production firmware easily.
2. Now, we will download the firmware in Zip file format. In a web browser, type in this URL: ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/K3/firmware/beta
3. Right-click on the .zip file containing the beta firmware (e.g. k3fwXrYZ.zip for revision MCU X.YZ and all associated files). Save the file to your beta folder you just created.
4. Unzip the files into the beta folder.
5. Enter the path to the beta folder in K3 Utility → Firmware tab → "Local folder for firmware files".
6. After you have made the change in Step 5, make sure you *DO NOT* check the K3 Utility box titled "Copy new files from Elecraft server". This will overwrite the Beta firmware if clicked.
7. Connect the K3, K3/0 Mini, K3s to your computer and be sure it is turned on. Select the Firmware tab and Click on "Check versions now" button.
8. Review the release notes. To find them, select the "Help" pull-down menu.
9. Click "Send all firmware to K3." This will cause the firmware to be sent to the K3, K3/0 Mini, K3s. You will see that the K3, K3/0 Mini, K3s appears to restart itself. Monitor the Activity Log until it is complete.
10. After completing a new software download to your product, please power cycle the K3, K3/0 Mini, K3s OFF and then back ON before using it.